The proposal has been designed following a comprehensive review of the site context. While the site has minimal street frontage; careful consideration was given to the façade facing the street and the scheme has been designed in order to utilise this frontage and provide a design that will significantly increase the attractiveness of this area. The proposed development is a modern and contemporary scheme that fits into the site and its context.
The proposal consists of three blocks between 2 and 3 floor high connected by two circulation cores. There is a mixture of retail/commercial space at ground floor with a mix of 2 and 3 bedroom apartments over the remaining floors. The proposed development wraps around a public space in the middle of the site with the commercial units opening out directly on to this. The apartments have south facing balconies protruding from the façade that overlook the public space. The materials selected consist of long format brick and protruded zinc boxes, these, materials were selected with careful consideration and sensitivity given to the surrounding
context. The proposed scheme has a sedum flat roof with parapet to help reduce the mass of the overall proposed scheme.
In summary, the scheme is based on a number of important principles:
• To respect the existing character of the area while providing an architecturally significant building.
• The construction of a high quality residential development in terms of design, layout, accommodation, mix of units, materials and specifications.
• The design of a layout which would be appropriate to the infill nature of the site and which will integrate with the characteristics of the surrounding area and protect the amenity of adjoining areas.
• The provision of high quality open space and private open space
• A design which accounts for the sensitivities of adjoining properties and functions.
• The design of a layout that takes account of the structural constraints of the site.
• A density of development appropriate to the site in the context of public transport infrastructure – this is close
to quality public transportation.
• The development of a residential scheme that is in line with the zoning of the site and with regional and
national planning and development policies.